1st Class Credit Union, formed in 1992, was originally set up to serve employees of The Royal Mail Group in Glasgow. We are a not-for-profit financial co-operative, owned and run by our members. We have a volunteer Board of Directors who offer their time to improve the services of our Credit Union.
Over the years we have expanded our membership base covering the whole of the U.K and Northern Ireland for any employees of:
- Royal Mail Group,
- Communications Industry,
- Public and Commercial Services Industry,
- Members and retired members of Communications Workers Union (CWU),
- Members and retired members of Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS).
In addition, we offer Family Membership to our members’ families residing at the same address.
If you are unsure if you fall within our Common Bond, please contact the office on 0141 552 8408, to find out if you are eligible to join our Credit Union.
We provide our members with the opportunity to save with the comfort of knowing that their money is safe as we are protected by the Financial Compensation Scheme. As well as this, their account is covered with free life insurance (terms & conditions apply).
While building on your savings you also have the option to apply for loans at affordable rates. This means that you no longer must rely on payday lenders with sky high interest rates.
Trade Union Partners
Our Common Bond
To join 1st Class Credit Union you need to meet at least one of the following criteria. Please read through and confirm that you are eligible before applying to join
- I am an employee of the Royal Mail Group
- I am an employee within the Communications Industry
- I am an employee within the Public and Commercial Services Industry
- I am a member or retired member of the Communication Workers Union (CWU)
- I am a member or retired member of the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS)
- I am a family relation to a current member of 1st Class Credit Union
Become a Member
Joining the Credit Union is the best decision you could take for your money. Our Credit Union lets people in the community come together to save and borrow money at low rates, and is operated on a not-for-profit basis.
Why not become a member today?Join Us
- Credit unions help you save regularly, borrow responsibly, and keep on top of your finances.
- Credit unions have partnerships with many employers allowing staff to save and repay loans direct from payroll.
- Credit unions offer affordable loans, ranging from short-term loans of a few hundred pounds, to much larger loans for holidays, buying a car, or home improvements among other things.
- Credit unions offer competitive rates on loans of all sizes. For smaller sum loans, interest on credit union loans is always much lower than that charged by doorstep or payday lenders.
- Credit unions make it easy to save – even a small amount saved each week will soon mount up.
- Credit unions are co-operatives, meaning that any profits are shared with their members. This often means savers will receive a dividend on their savings every year, which could be as much as 3%.
- Credit unions are able to offer credit to people whose circumstances might mean they struggle to get a loan from other lenders.
- Credit unions ensure that all money saved is protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) up to the value of £85,000 per person – exactly the same level of protection as savings in a bank or building society.
Being a member of our credit union comes with a host of benefits, such as:
- Access to loans up to £20,000
- Account covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
- Annual Dividend paid on savings (subject to surplus)
- The right to vote on decisions that affect your Credit Union at our AGM
- Joining more than 10,000 members who are currently helping one and other
- Access to your account 24/7 online and through our Mobile App
- Save specifically for Christmas with our Christmas Club Account
- Save £££s with our 1st Class Discount Club - Find out more.
As a credit union we are committed to offering products and services that help members manage their money and build up a history of good money management. At 1st Class Credit Union we have created a culture of saving regularly and lending responsibly while promoting good money management.
Our commitment to you
- We aim to provide the best level of service we possibly can.
- We will lend responsibly and provide products that suit your needs and that you can afford.
- We will treat you as an individual and ensure that your own circumstances are considered.
- We will provide information about our products and services in a clear and understandable way, so you can decide what is best for you.
- We will always aim to assist you if you find yourself in financial difficulty and find a solution that helps you to find a way to repay your loan.
Your commitment to us, we ask;
- You always ensure that you can afford to repay your loan by reading all the information and asking questions.
- You pledge to save the minimum weekly or monthly amount whilst repaying your loan.
- You make your loan repayments on time, using a payment method agreed when you sign your loan agreement or an alternative method if necessary.
- You tell us as soon as possible if you find you are struggling to repay your loan or are experiencing financial difficulty.
- You will ensure that you tell us of any change of contact details or change of circumstances.